Several thousand individuals in Askøy has become ill with diarrhea and other symptoms. The likely cause is campylobact-bacterias in the drinking water from Kleppe waterworks.
Her is a map of the area where the drinking water may be pollluted:
The advice from the authorities is as follows:
- All drinking water must be boiled. You should also boil water that you intend to use in:
- Cooking that will not be heated to more than 100 °C (212 Farenheit)
- Ice cubes
- Rinsing of vegetables and other types of food
- Tooth brushing
You do not need to boil water for:
- Cooking where the food is heated above 100 °C
- Washing your hands
- Showering or using the bath tub. But individuals who are immunocompromised and have open wounds, should be careful.
- Washing the dishes. If you do the dishes manually, you should rinse them with boiling water. If you have a dishwasher, make sure it is set to at least 65 °C
- Doing the laundry
Askøy kommune is monitoring the situation and are testing the water from various sources to find out when and where it will be safe to drink the water.